Monday, March 16, 2009

Menu Plan Monday

Well, this is better, it's actually Monday! Let's get right to it!

Monday: crockpot chicken, rice, green beans. We ate like pigs all weekend at the in-laws, so I wanted something clean and simple tonight. I put a whole chicken right in the crockpot with an onion, some celery, balsamic vinegar, poultry seasoning and rosemary. It is a good, if very plain meal.

Tuesday: Baked ziti with sausage, zucchini and mushrooms. I know, not very Irish. But we had our corned beef on Saturday. We'll either have green beans or salad on the side

Wednesday: Grilled (TBD) chicken and salad bar. The salad bar format is what takes this from boring diet food to a customizable, kid-friendly hit. I put out shredded cheeses and nuts and craisins and they love it. Raspberry vinegar doesn't hurt, either!

Thursday: Steak and cheese subs, sweet potato fries. This is a big hit with the kids. I will make it into whole wheat wraps and add peppers for the adults (and mushrooms for me! I'll have some left over from Tuesday) The kids will get it on hot dog rolls with raw peppers on the side. The sweet potato fries are Alexa brand and are delicious! My kids won't eat homemade; believe me, I keep trying!

Friday: Fish tacos. I use HomeEc 101's oven fried fish recipe, except I use panko. I put out shredded cheese, shredded cabbage (preshredded confetti coleslaw mix) and fried corn tortillas, plus some extra soft tortillas. On the side, we'll have salad or sweet potato fries.

In general, I find that the more I allow the kids to assemble and customize their own meals, the more, they'll eat. Salad bars, sandwich bars, tacos and fajitas are recurring themes here

Also, I made a big pot of split pea soup for my lunches for the week! Secret ingredient: smoked paprika!

No comments: